PHPP – the energy balance and Passive House planning tool
Simply using Passive House components does not necessarily yield a Passive House
A Passive House is far more than the sum of its parts: precise planning is required in order to ensure that the components used work together to acheive the desired result. The Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) is the key design tool used when planning a Passive House and as such, serves as the basis of verification for the Passive House Standard. While there are other design tools on the market, it is the the PHPP's high level of accuracy that sets it apart: energy balances can be calculated with the PHPP to an accuracy of +/- 0.5kWh!
Based for the large part on European norms, the PHPP makes use of numerous tested and approved calculations to yield a building’s the heating, cooling and primary energy demand, as well as its tendency to overheat in the warmer months. While the PHPP was developed specifically for Passive Houses, it is a design tool that may also be used for other buildings, including retrofits of historical buildings.
Version PHPP 8 (2013) - coming soon!
Worldwide applicability, added functions, improved user-friendliness and compatibility
The Passive House Institute is currently working on a new, improved version of the Passive House Planning Package. The German version of the PHPP 8 (2013) is set to be published in April/May 2013, the English version will follow shortly thereafter.
• Validated calculation algorithms for cooling and dehumidification in both hot and hot and humid climates
• Additional climate data sets for a wide range of new locations across the globe
• Additional PV, heat pump and ground heat exchange calculation sheets as well as the estimation of the solar contribution to space heating demand – supplements that increase the PHPP’s suitability for building sustainability assessments
• A new components sheet containing PHI Certified Passive House Components along with their performance data, facilitating data entry for certified products
• Revised data selection menus and improved compatibility with MAC and OpenOffice
• Improved connectivity and accessibility via PHI’s external import and export macro
• designPH (to be released in summer 2013) - a 3D data entry tool designed for the PHPP, complete with design modelling feedback. A newly developed SketchUP plugin, designPH is set to revolutionise the way we use PHPP.
Version PHPP 7 (2012)
This version features:
- An import-export interface
- A separate tool for metric-IP conversion
- Input options for various ventilation units within one building
- A separate sheet for compact units with two heat pumps
- An improved window sheet
- A verification sheet complete with an EnerPHit option as well as the international Passive House criteria
Version 7 (2012) is now available!
Price: €160.00 + shipping and handling for new users; €130.00 + shipping and handling for registered users
New seals for Certified Passive House Components
PHPP 7 (2012) now out!
EnerPHit - New PHI certification for thermal insulation systems
New PHI certification for retrofits
The new Component Database
for certified Passive Houses
|Research & Literature|
Passive Houses for different climate zones
Retrofits with Passive House components -
EnerPHit Planner Handbook
Passive House Retail Stores now out
Overview of contents